I was waiting for the bus. I want to go home, but the bus unusually took longer to arrive.

Coming my way was what society would consider a bum. From the looks of him, he had no car, no home, no clean clothes, and no money. There are times when you feel generous but there are other times that you just don't want to be bothered. This was one of those "don't-want-to-be-bothered times."

"I hope he doesn't ask me for any money," I thought. He didn't. He came and sat on the curb in front of the bus stop but he didn't look like he could have enough money to even ride the bus.

After a few minutes he spoke. "You, going home?" he asked. He was ragged but he had an air of dignity around him. His scraggly beard keeps more than his face warm. I said, "Yes," and showed impatience for the late arrival of the bus.

He sat there quietly as I waited for the bus. The expected plea for money never came. As the silence between us widened something inside said, "Ask him if he needs any help." I was sure that he would say "yes" but I held true to the inner voice.

"Do you need any help?" I asked. He answered in three simple but profound words that I will never forget.

"Don't we all?" he said. I expected nothing from this man but an outstretched grimy hand. However, the three words that he said shook me. I often look for wisdom in great men and women. I expect it from those of higher learning and accomplishments.

I was feeling high and mighty, successful and important, way above this bum in the street, until those three words hit me like a shotgun. "Don't we all?"

Yes, I needed help. I needed help more than most of the people in that waiting shed. Maybe not for bus fare or a place to sleep, but I needed help.

I reached in my wallet and gave him not only enough for bus fare, but enough to get a warm meal and shelter for the day.

Those three little words still ring true. No matter how much we have, no matter how much we have accomplished, we need help, too. On the other hand, no matter how little we have, no matter how loaded we are with problems, even without money or a place to sleep, we can help.

Even if it's just a compliment, we can give that. We never know when we may see someone that appears to have it all. But deep inside, they are waiting on us to give them what they don't have: a different perspective on life, a glimpse at something beautiful, or a respite from daily chaos that only us who have gone through a torn world can see.

Who knows? Maybe the man was not just a homeless stranger wandering the streets. Maybe he was more than that. Maybe he was sent by God who is great and wise, to minister to me, a soul too comfortable in himself. Maybe God looked down, called an angel, dressed him like a bum and then said, "Go minister to that man waiting for the bus, that man needs help."

Don't we all?


I would like to thank Kuya Ato Sauqillo and Rojs for the messages and comments. God bless us.

3 comments:

Sir,
congrats! paganda ng paganda ang blog nyo! Sana lang hindi sira ang hit counter nyo, pano nyo malalaman ang number ng fans nyo nyan? hehehe

sir,
your blogs is nice, how i wish someday gawan nyo ako ng story,
more power to your career and god bless you.

rojs
cdo

thanks for the story,and for dedicating it to me.. i really appreciated it..
to everyone let your love ones feel that they are being loved by you in every second of your breath.

thank you") - lion heart

Post a Comment

About this blog

The stories in this blog are rewritten from my friends' emails.
Some of them are my original stories.